Thanks everyone for a very successful conference, it was a great pleasure having you here in Kiel.
With all your contributions and enthusiasm we together created an important momentum to carry science and collaboration forward!
The Kiel Declaration has been a major conclusion of the conference that we will further employ to stress the alarming implications of ocean deoxygenation for marine and climate protection (you can find the Kiel Declaration here: https://www.ocean-oxygen.org/declaration).
Finally, we added a small photo gallery and uploaded the winning posters of the Best Poster Award.
For further comments/questions/feedback you can still get in touch with us at email@example.com.
Programme Booklet as PDF - please click here.
The distribution of oxygen in the ocean is controlled by physical, biogeochemical and biological processes. Both the supply and consumption of oxygen are sensitive to climate change in ways that are not fully understood.
Recent observations suggest that the oxygen content of the ocean is declining (ocean deoxygenation) and that oxygen minimum zones and coastal hypoxia sites are expanding with tremendous effects on the ocean’s ecosystems and living organisms.
This conference will:
- focus on the past, present and future state of oxygen
in the ocean on global, regional and local scales
- analyse mechanisms and feedbacks critical to identify natural
and anthropogenic causes of oxygen variability
- determine impacts on biogeochemical cycles and ecosystems
Conference sessions will cover the following topics:
- Prediction and Monitoring
- Ecosystem Impacts
- Ventilation and Oxygen Supply
- Microbial Communities and their Impact on Biogeochemical Cycles in Oxygen Minimum Zones
- Major Upwelling Systems
- Physiological Effects of Oxygen and Interactions with Multiple Stressors
- Impacts on Fisheries / Socioeconomics
- Coastal Systems: From Understanding to Management
- Ocean Deoxygenation - how the Past can Inform the Future
- Biogeochemical Cycles: Feedbacks and Interactions
For further information see the Scientific Programme.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/DeoxyOcean
Abstract submission: closed
Decision on abstract acceptance: 30 April 2018
Early Bird registration closes: 31 May 2018
Standard registration closes: 31 July 2018
Late registration: after 01 August 2018